COMMITTEE REPORT: LWVNPC ECONOMIC EQUITY (formerly poverty/healthcare/ juvenile justice)
- Changed the name of the committee to Economic Equity to encompass more focus areas
- Held a well-attended Hot Topic on Affordable Housing in October 2022
- Further developed partnership with the local chapter of the NAACP by having their president serve as moderator for Affordable Housing Event.
- Made contacts with key figures in the community with expertise in Affordable Housing and engaged them as speakers for Hot Topic event.
- For the first time, live streamed a Hot Topic event (Affordable Housing) to the LWVNPC Facebook page.
- Represented LWVNPC at the Greater Tarpon Springs Community Council to support and communicate an innovative program by the Tarpon Springs Housing Authority called “Home to Share.” Met with previous co-chairs to transition committee responsibilities.
- Attended Florida Voices for Health update on Medicaid Expansion to support the Healthcare for Florida Coalition, of which the Florida League is a member.
LWVNPC 2023-24 ACTION PLAN: ECONOMIC EQUITY (formerly poverty/healthcare/ juvenile justice
- Affordable Housing
- Advocate for increased housing options locally by supporting change and innovation with all associated housing and zoning authorities in the county.
- Encourage more publicity for affordable housing availability at local events.
- Conduct Hot Topic on affordable housing in another area of the county from the 2022 event or a Community Conversation in conjunction with an adjacent League or county.
- Health Equity
- Advocate for the need for Medicaid expansion, coordinating with Florida Voices for Health.
- Support broadening of Florida’s Medicaid eligibility requirements in light of impending eligibility redetermination of all Floridians currently covered by Medicaid.
- Advocate for improved provision and access to healthcare, including mental healthcare that is equitable and inclusive.
- Support the Florida LWV legislative priority on Reproductive Health and Justice by participating and reporting back from the state committee.
- Continue work on Juvenile Justice issues.
- Advocate for equity in all services, policies, and activities of the LWVNPC.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Mina Harkins, Committee Chair